Tuesday, October 25, 2005

My new Pen Pal

It's been nearly a month since I e-mailed Senator Mike DeWine and longer since I e-mailed Congressman Steven LaTourette. Imagine my surprise this afternoon when I received an e-mail from Senator DeWine acknowledging receipt of my e-mail and that he'll be following up soon. Half an hour later I had a response. It's laid out somewhat like a form letter, probably written by a staffer, but it does address (sort of) my anti-budget pork concerns. Actually now that I have re-read it again, I'm not very satisfied with the response. Well for what it's worth, here it is:

October 25, 2005

Dear John:

Thank you for contacting me regarding your concerns with the costs of the
relief efforts in the Gulf states following Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
I appreciate knowing your views on this issue.

As you know, the combined force of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita resulted in
one of the largest national disasters in our Nation. I am committed to
providing the full amount necessary for a comprehensive recovery effort
that meets the short- and long-term needs of the Gulf region and its
residents. I agree that as stewards of your taxpayer dollars, Congress
must take steps to manage relief funding efforts in a fiscally responsible
manner. I also feel that it is important that we have a team of
inspectors general to evaluate all funding provided for the relief effort
to make sure that the money is spent wisely and efficiently.

In addition, I am extremely proud of the National Guard troops, government
workers, Red Cross volunteers, and citizens who have generously provided
their assistance in the rescue and recovery efforts. I commend their
efforts and keep all of the victims and their families in my thoughts and
prayers.

Again, thank you for contacting me. If you have any additional questions
or concerns, please feel free to contact me anytime.

Very respectfully yours,

MIKE DeWINE
United States Senator

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home